Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Finding myself


When I was a little child, I was told to try my best in everything I did. Yes, I do tell my children the same thing, in fact I tell then that what ever they do , do it as if you were doing for Jesus.

Well, one thing that sometimes as parents we forget to stress is that our best is not always even close to be perfect and that is perfectly fine.*grin*

I was a ballerina and all I heard was : "You are doing great now you can get better".

The question " when (things) will be good enough" only came to me after I had all my children and after I started to draw and paint with watercolors.

My main purpose painting a flower , for ex, when I painted with oil paints was to make as "perfect" as possible. I wanted to full one's eyes and to make it as realistic as possible and please what I am saying here does not mean that if you work that way , I think is wrong.... not at all, I am just sharing some conflicts and some answers that worked for ME and perhaps you too have gone through the same ... or maybe not.*grin*

I have never been truly happy with my art work ( mostly paintings) and had no idea why. Then I start drawing..... my drawings were somehow funny lines trying to imitate perfection ...all in vain.

Ohhhh it was not working. I didn't spent time drawing and all my oil paintings would first get a sketch with my brush only and the shapes would come to life as I painted so I had no "real" practice with drawing.... but a desire to paint with water color was growing stronger in my heart.

I figure it was a matter of practice so like in all I have been told- Make it perfect.

What is perfection? Does the bible tells me?

I begin to pray about this .....mmm ....about 4/5 years ago, I think. I also was "searching " in God's words for answer.

It was with much excitement that I found out that there was not such thing as 'perfect' and the only perfection in life is the Lord- The Trinity.

This truly became real to me and in so many aspect... my life changed....my art changed.*grin*

Tasting freedom...

I began to experiment some sort of freedom that I did not know and has affected me tremendously.

I also start to look through a window that was new to me.... other artists like Tasha Tudor, Lisbeth Zwerger, Renee Graef even my "favorite illustrator " Beatrix Potter... just to name few.

I saw a freedom when they illustrated that did not call for a ruler, a perfect line ,or even perfect watercolor combination.... and yet a lovely , most amazing illustrations that combined not only a beautiful finished piece but some imperfection that brought so much charm and , if I may say, realism to the illustration. Realism I say , because life is not perfect.*smiles*

I have been dedicating my self to drawing a lot these past 2 years . One can see me drawing just about everyday.
I sketched this little girl and her dolly today.... this is not perfect ... but I like it!*grin*

3 comments:

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Pat,

What a nice post! I, too, get caught up in trying to make art "perfect", and get frustrated. How true that life is not "perfect," and we should be content with it just as it is.

Thank you so much,

Marqueta

p.s. The girl and her dolly are very sweet, too. :)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My darling sister,

I can see that your hard work has paid off for this profile is absolutely stunning. You have ALWAYS BEEN GOOD, but this one is very CLEAN and precise; you have captured a sense of child-like wonder in the lines and you know how I love simple lines! Dearest, I think this blog of yours dropped off of my list. I will put it back on because I cannot believe I have not come here in so long..thank you for the MAGIC YOU GIVE ME...oh how I love this sharing of our gifts! PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW! And that He gives us the power to use these gifts.

MUCH LOVE, Nita

Christel said...

Oh Pat, what a beautiful post! I love the illustration too! I too have struggled with trying to make everything..."perfect" but just in this past year, I have come to the realization that in art, and many other things..there are no set rules. There is nothing that says one cannot put pink shoes on a doll dressed in red..or to give her blue hair ect... What has helped me tremendously is how many of my pieces sell, for instance, a piece that I look at, and think this probably won't do well, if it sells at all,and then..it will bring more than anything else I might have listed. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. There is beauty in all things, as you know. Your illustrations have so much charm, the beauty is always in the simplicity of the subject, and your talents! I love everything you create, and even before I got to know you, I could tell what a wonderful person you were, and the God was the source of your beauty! So happy you are part of my life, if even through the blog, God finds a way to connect us all! Much love always, Christel

 
Design by Lawnydesigns