Tuesday, June 21, 2011

what is on my desk!

Like any other work that I do, I have lots of materials that I use when I am creating. When I first started to paint with watercolors , I used the very inexpensive watercolors. There were few reasons for that: One was for the fact that I was not sure what was the difference from paint cakes and paint in tubes, and the other was -price.
I guess I did learn that we get what we pay for it . I will make a confession and tell you that only *very * recently that I finally spent the time, in learning about the difference, and the money... should I say ..LOTS(!) and bought a hand full of paints.
I bought some very fine artists color - Winsor & Newton series 3 and 4 and some Grumbacher as well.
Wow! what a difference. I am having so much fun with these new paints. i also bought some iridescent watercolor paint and they are beautiful for details too.
I then decided that I need to make a color chart. I have made couple but as much as they are helpful to me, I realise that I truly should make more for reference. the concept is one that I knew from glazing pottery as I find very helpful and I still don't understand why I didn't do this before.

Next are my watercolor pencils. LOVE them! Of course I use brushes too. I have lots of them, as a matter of fact, my birthday is next month and my children knows that this is my number one item in their list of present for me!:-)

I use plastic pallets. I don't care for porcelain. It works well for me and is washable.




BUT my favorite one is my handmade pallet from a acrylic board that I stop my husband from throwing in the garbage. I use this as a portable table specially when I want to paint outside by the pond or sitting any where under a tree or by the pastures. I have a place for my water cup in which was a special Christmas gift from a dear friend that is 86 years old.*grin*


On the bottom left of the picture above you cab see a circle and it was made to fit her cup. ( forgot the place in when took the picture, dahhh)


I love this Because is unique and attach the paper so tight avoiding the curliness when its wet. also all the paint is near and so the water--- perfect!*grin*





Next to my work is normally my models.... oh am I blessed?!!!* big smiles*


My children are focus in my life and art. when I draw I use LOTS of old pictures of when they were toddlers , as I love the details of the natural gestures specially fingers and toes but faces... faces are very important too.

I like to draw a little older children too . My sweet Becca is often called to pose for me. As you see I took 3 pictures of her and choose one. I want to make a faerie under a mushroom in a raining day.





I doddle my first idea and I like it. I use a very fine mechanical pencil and draw straight into the watercolor paper. If one day I buy a good light box, I will then work on my sketches but for now as I don't have one, I work so light on the watercolor paper that when I erase my mistakes I don't ruin the paper. If I try to copy eye to eye from my sketch I always end up loosing something like an expression.. and I hate that. I will then start my project already not liking it sigh so a while ago i decide to only sketch the idea , like the one above and then work on my lines and final drawing direct on the WC paper.ugh! I hope I made sense with my broken English!






I spent a good time thinking and thinking while I was feeding the chickens. I then walked thought the pastures back home ( my barns where the chickens lives is in the other side of the pastures) I got back to my picture and prayed . I prayed as I was walking too. I always ask God to work thought my hands and to show me what to do and to help me improve.





I then felt ready and start drawing. to my completely surprise , my little faerie became more like a princess. I start out with a crown but later I removed because the children told me that she look like Thumbelina. The large frog was drawn appears in my mind . I made him into a "prince to be".

I the background also start to come to me... this is when I get excited. I have a vision!




I see that my pictures are not good. I was not checking the light source when I took them and some were taking at mid night anyways.

I called Becca to see and she made a "face"- she hates frogs... in all animals , she is scare of them!

I then promised her that I would make him very lovely and not freighting at all!*grin*

ps. clicking on each picture , will enlarge it and you can view it better!




I will post my finished piece next time!*grin*



7 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Tita, this post is inspiring to me because as I look at that last semi-finished piece, I feel as I am looking at a professional sketch and watercolour, one that would be in a CHILDRENS' BOOK...and you have blessed me today as I see more and more that it takes practice and consistency in order to get good. I am trying to write and I am getting nowhere. But I see how much you have accomplished over time and I have to say that I think this is going to be one of my favorites. You are reaching your goal my dearest!!!! NITA

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Tita, THANK YOU THANK YOU for confirming to me something I was feeling. Now that I have the time, I am expecting that this is going to be easier, but actually it is just the same. When I am working, time is squeezing my juices to overflow within a time frame. Now, I am almost waiting, expecting things to happen, but you are right. The perfect moment will come...so I am going to relax and go do something else! WOW, that painting is really, really great...the best I have to say!!!!! NITA

LOVE YOU TOO DEAR ONE!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I just had to come back for more inspiration! WOw I can see the progress...Nita

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Pat,

Thank you for sharing this post! I learned a lot, and you confirmed what I had suspected, that high-quality paints make a big difference in the outcome of a painting. I'm going to save my pennies for some Winsor Newtons, too! :)

I love the frog and the fairy, and seeing it take shape. The acrylic palette/drawing board is genius! You could sell them!

Love,

Marqueta

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...

Oooo what a very happy tour of your desk!! I LOVE my watercolor pencils too!
I am moving to a new Historical home and have been packing all my Art supplies. But I am sooo excited that there is an Art Studio with Sky windows ALL the way across the old roof! There was a painter Lady that lived there once long ago :-D
Pat I Love your Fairy, and your Daughter made an especialy SWEET Model ;-)
Warm HUGS and Blessings Linnie

Róisín said...

Beautiful post. I loved your drawings! And you've a very lovely blog, I glad the gathering led me here :)

Hope you're having a lovely fairy day and are enjoying the party!

Flac_k said...

Que lindo! creaste un muy buen ambiente para las hadas, espero que el sapo sí sea el príncipe azul :)

 
Design by Lawnydesigns